Bardiya National Park
Bardiya National Park is situated in mid far western Terai, in a remote part of Nepal, bordered by the Karnali River, the National Park covers 968 sq. km. It is 585 km from Kathmandu. The park is the largest and most undisturbed expanse of wilderness in southern Nepal. Although the largest park it is least explored by foreign tourists.
About 70% of the park is covered with Sal jungle, the remaining 30% is a mixture of grassland, savannah and riverine forest. The park contains eight types of ecosystem. The park headquarters are situated at Thakurdwara (also the location of Forest Hideaway) and is surrounded by idyllic villages and fields inhabited by an indigenous ethnic group, the ‘Tharu’.
Originally a hunting reserve, Bardia became a conservation area in 1976 and then attained National Park status in 1988. Presently a plan is being considered to further expand the park both north and eastwards. Conservation is a strong theme within Bardia; the park as well providing a home habitat for many species also provides an ideal environment for the study of wildlife. The WWF and the King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation are active in the park monitoring wildlife and breeding habitats. They have also implemented an educational scheme for local people identifying the meaning of, and need for conservation.
More than thirty different mammals, over two hundred species of bird and many snakes, lizards and fish have been recorded within the park. Both resident and migratory birds can be found within the park boundaries. As well as the numerous more common animals and birds the Bardia National Park is home to 19 of Nepal’s 39 legally protected species. These include the One-horned Rhinoceros, wild Asian Elephant, Bengali Tiger, Swamp Deer, Black Buck Antelope, Gangetic Dolphin and Gharial Crocodile. Endangered birds include the Bengal Florican, the Silver-eared Mesia and the Sarus Crane. In fact the WWF indicated the Bardia National Park as playing a major role in the survival of the world tiger population. As a result, it is not surprising to find that Bardia provides the best opportunity to view the Bengal Tiger in Nepal.
2 Nights 3 Days Bardia Jungle Safari Special Package
Day 1 : Arrival in Thakurdwara (Bardia National Park) check in at Resort. After the lunch, village visit. You will visit the temple area, you will enter in a real typical tharu house and see the local life. You will also visit Bardia National park visitor centre with its crocodile farm. Dinner and O/N in Resort.
Day 2: Jungle walk (full day) After an early breakfast, you will go on foot in the national park for the day with a naturalist guide and a porter. There are good possibilities to see one horned rhino, wild asian elephants or Bengal tiger among other animals. Picnic lunch for the day. Once you back to the resort, dinner and local Tharu culture dance program. O/N in Resort.
Day 3: After an early cup of tea, you will go on elephant back for a safari (2h30). Elephants are very adapted to go inside the vegetation and give good possibilities to get close to rhinos. Back to resort and Breakfast. Rest before departure and after lunch, departure.
3 Night / 4 Days Bardia Jungle Safari Package
Inside National Park/Or stay outside park resort
Day 01: Upon arrival at the bus stop or at the Nepalgunja airport meet our office representative and transfer to the resort.
Refreshing, brief about the program
Have a lunch and rest
Culture tour, visit Tharu village and park visitor center
Sunset view from the river bank
Dinner and slide show about flora-fauna
Day 02: Wake up call, tea-coffee drink and breakfast
Enjoy ox-cart ride or jeep drive to back to the resort
Have a lunch and rest
Encountering wildlife on elephant back safari or jeep drive
Dinner and Tharu culture dance show
Day 03: Wake up call, tea-coffee drink and breakfast
Jungle excursion tour
Have a lunch and rest
Visiting wildlife sanctuary
Dinner and discussion about wildlife
Day 04: Wake up call, tea-coffee drink
Bird watching tour
Have breakfast and packing
Transfer to the bus station or Nepalgunj airport for departure
All jungle Safari activities
All accommodations while safari including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Highly experienced Government licensed safari guide during the trip.
Government / Local taxes, Tourist service charge, guide insurance and salary, national park and conservation area fees.
Transportation to and from Kathmandu by air or road as per itinerary
Any type of personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages and drinks, phone and laundry
Rescue & travel insurance, trip cancellation costs, accident or health emergency, evacuation, loss, theft or damage to baggage and personal effects. We strongly advise you to take out personal travel insurance.
Tips & Gratuities